Friday, April 10, 2020

MarkyMarks Nature Blog:- Mental Health and Nature #6


Bluebell Woods - Photo by Mark Appleton

Most of my nature blogs have been about birds so far. There is a reason for this. They are good for my mental health and allow me to pursue my hobbies of getting outside for nature and photography and sharing my experiences with my friends. This is now limited, but I have old photos to look back on and share and have my once daily exercise and still feel very fortunate. I keep thinking about our key workers and so thankful  for the amazing job they are doing in these difficult times.

I previously worked for an Electronics company that had tough schedules to meet and extremely technical and challenging problems to solve. They were very proactive and ran a mental health course and its connection with nature resonated with me.

Me - Photo by Mark Appleton
So this nature blog is a little different and will talk about mental health and nature in these challenging times. Let me just say I am no expert on mental health and these are just my own views. I also appreciate that not everyone has a garden or can walk to see nature so hopefully I can bring a little bit of nature to you. So what is mental health. Well everyone has mental health and it should not be confused with mental illness or mental health problems.
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others and make choices.


I love going for a walk this time of year and seeing the Bluebells flourish. It helps my wellbeing and relaxation.

Bluebell Woods - Photo by Mark Appleton


Bluebell Woods - Photo by Mark Appleton


Path to Bluebells - Photo by Mark Appleton

Squirrel peeking through Bluebells - Photo by Mark Appleton

Bluebell - Photo by Mark Appleton

So in these difficult times, we are all told to stay at home, apart from allocated exercise once a day, so make the most of the limited time you have outside and take a look around your garden if you have one. Try going for a walk at different times on different days. If you go early you will get to hear the fabulous dawn chorus. If you don't have a garden take a look in other peoples gardens, like I did with the next photo:-

Tulips - Photo by Mark Appleton

I was given my dream job this summer, to work for the RSPB and live in the New Forest. Unfortunately this was all cancelled, like so many jobs and holidays. I am so fortunate to have my health, friends and family and have nature to help me keep positive.


Roe Deer in local woods - Photo by Mark Appleton
Roe Deer in local woods - Photo by Mark Appleton

Researchers are amassing a body of evidence, proving what we all know to be true, nature is good for us and has both long and short term mental and physical health benefits. A study has shown that people living in environments with more birds, shrubs and trees are significantly less exposed to feelings of depression, anxiety and stress. They found the health benefits were the same whether people lived in crowded, urbanised environments or greener suburban areas. With respect to birds it would seem the number of birds seen and observed was more important than the variety or scarcity where mental health was concerned.


Starling in garden - Photo by Mark Appleton


So here are some tips for wellbeing and connections with nature

CONNECT
You may not be able to visit friends but make the effort to make a phone call, video or use social
media. I like to share some of my wildlife photos with my 82 year old mum who is isolated. This helps cheer up her day. Here is one of my favourites I shared recently. This was taken while sheltering in a bird hide from the rain in Lakenheath RSPB reserve a couple of years ago:-

Kingfisher in the rain - Photo by Mark Appleton

BE ACTIVE
For your allocated exercise, if you go for a walk, vary the times you do it on different days. Try heading for a green space if not to far away. How about going really early one day to avoid people and listening to the Dawn Chorus. Get out side if you can. When your skin is exposed to sunlight, it makes vitamin D from cholesterol. The sun's ultraviolet B (UVB) rays hit cholesterol in the skin cells, providing the energy for vitamin D synthesis to occur. Vitamin D has many roles in the body and is essential for optimal health.

Robin - Photo by Mark Appleton

LEARN
New skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. How about learning birdsong See my blog by clinking link here:-  Bird Song or photography or even bird watching, whether it been from your your flat, garden, woods or local park. For something different I tried to photograph a couple of insects in my sisters garden.

Fly in the garden - Photo by Mark Appleton

Photo by Mark Appleton

Photo by Mark Appleton


TAKE NOTICE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS
When staying at home, turn the television, computer, phone off for a while. Give yourself a rest from social media and all the depressing news. Look out of the window, what can you see, what can you hear, be aware of the present moment, including your thoughts and feelings, your body and the world around you - mindfulness. I will be writing about the nature I see in my sisters garden and the local woods in future blogs.

Clematus in sisters garden - Photo by Mark Appleton

Dandelion - Photo by Mark Appleton


Dandelion - Photo by Mark Appleton


 I really like this from The Wildlife Trusts:-



For more information on mental well being click on this link here:- Mental-Wellbing

Previous blogs can be found here:- MarkMark's Blogs

and lastly
A BIG SHOUT OUT FOR ALL OUR ESSENTIAL KEY WORKERS WHO ARE DOING AN AMAZING JOB IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES

STAY AT HOME   HELP THE NHS   SAVE LIVES




2 comments:

  1. Loved looking through your Nature Blog Mark. I am and always have been a country girl Bishopstoke woods was my play ground . I am fortunate to have a very large garden which I upkeep myself. love sitting when work is done and listen to the warble of many birds soooo relaxing. the house I reside in was built in 1911 .my grandparents .then my parents and now myself. I know Bishopstoke and Fair Oak so well. now the dreaded Virus has Isolated myself and many others. we are deprived of nature , thank you so much for bringing it to our doors. Many Thanks Admin Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Margaret. Your comment is most appreciated and makes writing the blog worth while. Keep safe Mark

      Delete