Monday, April 6, 2020

MarkyMarks Nature Blog:- My Sisters Garden #1

Dunnocck - Photo by Mark Appleton
Hi,

My name is Mark. This is my first ever blog. Hopefully it will become more polished in future as I was never a great writer.  I thought I would try and write about nature especially birds which is my passion and what's all around us in terms of nature, whether it be photos or sharing interesting links and tips about nature. I will try and concentrate on specific birds or nature topics for each blog. All comments very welcome good and bad to help me improve these blogs.

Before I start, a little bit about me. I was an Electronics engineer 7 months ago designing silicon chips for mobile phones for a company called ARM Ltd. in Cambridge , but decided to make a career change into conservation and moved back down to Fair Oak near Southampton where I grew up. This was a big step for me as Conservation pay is poor, but thought you only live once, give it your best shot and do something that you are passionate about. Luckily I managed to secure a contract working for the amazing Bird Aware Solent as an assistant ranger. I will say more about this excellent organization in future blogs and what I did as a ranger throughout the winter. If you would like to know more now see here for some interesting reading on our coastal birds:- Bird Aware Solent.

 I was due to start a new job today, a contract with RSPB but unfortunately due to the Corona Virus, the contract has been cancelled so now out of work for the summer and currently looking for a job.

As we are in a national emergency we are told to stay at home with only limited exercise outside our homes. Most of us who are not essential workers have time on our hands so it is a good excuse to observe nature in our gardens or on our brief  local exercise walk. If you are unable to get into a garden or outside, I hope sharing this blog may help you enjoy what is around and maybe some useful links for you to read.

So my sisters Garden:-
The sun came out so I took my camera into my sisters garden (I moved out of my 83 year old mums house to protect her from Corona Virus) who I am now living with. The first thing I heard (before I saw) was this Dunnock (top of page). See what they sound like:-
Dunnock Song .

This is the picture I took in my sisters garden. (top of page). The short fast warble is often given from a prominent perch in low trees and bushes. Nest building begins in March with usually 4 or 5 eggs which are incubated for approximately 2 weeks. The young fledge approximately 2 weeks later. Often two males mate with one female and the less dominant male helps feed the young.

Dunnocks are often mistaken for Sparrows, in fact they are often called a Hedge Sparrow (although not a sparrow) and have a remarkably loud song for their size. They have a brown crown and breast is blue-grey. Dunnocks can often been seen shuffling around under bushes and have been described as mouse like with their body close to the ground when shuffle.  Compare the Dunnock

with the Male and Female  House sparrow here:- Male House Sparrow   Female House Sparrow to try and tell the difference.

INTERESTING FACT :- Dunnocks are frequent hosts for Cuckoos.


For more Dunnock Bird facts see :- Dunnock Bird Facts

Don't forget when nature spotting, to use your ears as well as your eyes. A pair of binoculars is also essential if you have them for picking out the detail in birds. It is amazing what you can spot in and flying over your garden.

Next blog will be about the deer spotted on a local walk to the woods and future blogs what's in and flies over my sisters garden

And lastly

 A BIG SHOUT OUT FOR ALL OUR ESSENTIAL KEY WORKERS WHO ARE DOING AN AMAZING JOB IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES

STAY AT HOME   HELP THE NHS   SAVE LIVES





No comments:

Post a Comment